Day 5 & 6
Sunday, December 22, 2013
Day 5 & 6 in Bali
So this trip is finally winding to its eventual end, not to say that I'm happy about it but I'll accept that this is how it's gonna be. The place is really wonderful and I guess thanks are in order to my mum for acceding to my request for a lepak holiday - which essentially involves sitting around the house doing nothing at all. Understandably Kay Howe and Kay Jin were much more bored than I was, having not fully understood the concept of the trip but I hope everyone enjoyed the trip in the end. The first villa we stayed in was tucked into the crowded streets of Seminyak, and a convenient half-an-hour drive from the airport, Kuta (shopping areas) and anything anywhere worth going (which I guess wasn't terribly necessary seeing as I was there just to relax). It was a lovely place nonetheless and as a place-of-stay it sure beat any hotel that I'd previously been to (Villa Bedua), but it'd be a better deal and comfortable stay for bigger groups as opposed to smaller ones.
Three nights in Semiyak saw many of us itching for change (not me) and as planned we were shuttled off to Ubud, further inland in Bali (with none of the white sandy beaches of before), where we spent the past 3 nights (now 4 because I'm finishing this up on Sunday). The villa here is picturesque, and sandwiched between two paddy fields, or rather this place was carved out and designated as a villa, the separation from the rest of the world is pretty intense. Which is good to because one can well and truly relax without worries and interruptions from whatever nonsense the world throws at us. Villa Amala is a lovely place.
Day 5 was spent lazing about in the villa, mostly because it rained for the entire afternoon so we were confined to the shelter of the villa (also spent that time blogging). On day 6 we ventured out early in the morning (10-ish) to avoid any weather problems which turned out to be a good thing because we walked around, and while eating lunch it rained, after which it stopped when we left and we had the rest of the afternoon (until 6) to roam the streets of town. I suppose having three boys in the family is a great help especially on these larger family holidays - Kay Jin stuck with Gong Gong (granddad) for the entire day, I stuck with mummy and Kay Howe roamed around taking photos.
I guess I've always felt very protective of my mum, and I thought that was the way life was until later in life when I came across friends with tenuous relationships with their mothers. But that's not to fully discount the scores of families with wondrous relationships which I admire. It all boils down to the fact that she spent the lion's share of her time (and ours of course) with us, teaching us how to read and write, igniting a burning passion for learning and making sure we grew up to be strong young men (in every sense of the word). This is something I'll be forever grateful for.
A strong foundation in life is the surest guarantee of success and my mum gave us all the best fighting chance we could've gotten.
I also appreciate how she gave us freedom of choice in everything we did, and never forced us into anything or place undue pressure on us. Kay Howe and I are more arts inclined people whereas Kay Jin is into sciences and the true testament to our power to decide our paths in life is that we're all in different schools (by choice of course). Something about each of our schools appeals to us in a way that the other cannot understand but such is the beauty of life and its diversity - some say this is a grand social experiment or a fine plan to create networks hahaha.
In the name of self-improvement I've started reading this book "How to talk to anyone", which essentially a guidebook on how to be more likeable, approachable and badass when dealing with people. Only gotten through the first 10 or so "tips" and so far it's really nothing much new to me (save for one or two things). On some level that's a comforting fact because it tells me that I was right in some ways and it does pay off to be self-conscious of such things like social interaction (I'm an impulsive conversationalist and chit-chatting is my hobby). The fundamentals, and why they're at the very front of the book so if you put down the book after a few minutes of reading at least you'll have learnt something, are eye-contact, smiling, listening, being interested and being relaxed. Of course this is all easier said then done I suppose but it's something that you'll get better with over time and that you'll have to practice. Do read it if you can though because it could be useful to some, and you can get it easily online.
I love blog-hopping, but sadly there're not many places I can go before there's nowhere left to look (where there is relevance at least). Anyway so I went back to Joyce's blog the other day, which I do rather regularly (you can access it
here), and there was this very poetic and poignant piece on perfectionism which I do implore you to read. The beauty of us lies in our imperfections because we ca never be perfect people and being imperfect is how we embrace perfection as ordinary people (hahaha that was a tad too convoluted but there is meaning to be construed from it all). Anyway I won't be able to recreate whatever's already written so, again, please do read.
One cannot help but feel a tinge of sadness when reading other people's blogs too (some not all), because mastery of the language is such an elusive thing and not everyone is equipped with silver tongue and pen to craft beautiful poetry as permutations of 26 little squiggles. It lies too with experience and humility when we learn from others and emulate little parts of their styles to embellish our own, and possibly ameliorate our cracks and insufficiencies.
Lastly, Bali is quiet and Singapore is noisy but sometimes you need the noise to appreciate the quiet. Same for that thought catalog article on loving and not being loved back but it's still not something I fully concur with at the moment. That will be all for now, and see you all when I get back (fig.).
(taken on the streets of town - on Insta if you want to see @footballbear (please go see HAHA))
Day 5 & 6
Sunday, December 22, 2013
Day 5 & 6 in Bali
So this trip is finally winding to its eventual end, not to say that I'm happy about it but I'll accept that this is how it's gonna be. The place is really wonderful and I guess thanks are in order to my mum for acceding to my request for a lepak holiday - which essentially involves sitting around the house doing nothing at all. Understandably Kay Howe and Kay Jin were much more bored than I was, having not fully understood the concept of the trip but I hope everyone enjoyed the trip in the end. The first villa we stayed in was tucked into the crowded streets of Seminyak, and a convenient half-an-hour drive from the airport, Kuta (shopping areas) and anything anywhere worth going (which I guess wasn't terribly necessary seeing as I was there just to relax). It was a lovely place nonetheless and as a place-of-stay it sure beat any hotel that I'd previously been to (Villa Bedua), but it'd be a better deal and comfortable stay for bigger groups as opposed to smaller ones.
Three nights in Semiyak saw many of us itching for change (not me) and as planned we were shuttled off to Ubud, further inland in Bali (with none of the white sandy beaches of before), where we spent the past 3 nights (now 4 because I'm finishing this up on Sunday). The villa here is picturesque, and sandwiched between two paddy fields, or rather this place was carved out and designated as a villa, the separation from the rest of the world is pretty intense. Which is good to because one can well and truly relax without worries and interruptions from whatever nonsense the world throws at us. Villa Amala is a lovely place.
Day 5 was spent lazing about in the villa, mostly because it rained for the entire afternoon so we were confined to the shelter of the villa (also spent that time blogging). On day 6 we ventured out early in the morning (10-ish) to avoid any weather problems which turned out to be a good thing because we walked around, and while eating lunch it rained, after which it stopped when we left and we had the rest of the afternoon (until 6) to roam the streets of town. I suppose having three boys in the family is a great help especially on these larger family holidays - Kay Jin stuck with Gong Gong (granddad) for the entire day, I stuck with mummy and Kay Howe roamed around taking photos.
I guess I've always felt very protective of my mum, and I thought that was the way life was until later in life when I came across friends with tenuous relationships with their mothers. But that's not to fully discount the scores of families with wondrous relationships which I admire. It all boils down to the fact that she spent the lion's share of her time (and ours of course) with us, teaching us how to read and write, igniting a burning passion for learning and making sure we grew up to be strong young men (in every sense of the word). This is something I'll be forever grateful for.
A strong foundation in life is the surest guarantee of success and my mum gave us all the best fighting chance we could've gotten.
I also appreciate how she gave us freedom of choice in everything we did, and never forced us into anything or place undue pressure on us. Kay Howe and I are more arts inclined people whereas Kay Jin is into sciences and the true testament to our power to decide our paths in life is that we're all in different schools (by choice of course). Something about each of our schools appeals to us in a way that the other cannot understand but such is the beauty of life and its diversity - some say this is a grand social experiment or a fine plan to create networks hahaha.
In the name of self-improvement I've started reading this book "How to talk to anyone", which essentially a guidebook on how to be more likeable, approachable and badass when dealing with people. Only gotten through the first 10 or so "tips" and so far it's really nothing much new to me (save for one or two things). On some level that's a comforting fact because it tells me that I was right in some ways and it does pay off to be self-conscious of such things like social interaction (I'm an impulsive conversationalist and chit-chatting is my hobby). The fundamentals, and why they're at the very front of the book so if you put down the book after a few minutes of reading at least you'll have learnt something, are eye-contact, smiling, listening, being interested and being relaxed. Of course this is all easier said then done I suppose but it's something that you'll get better with over time and that you'll have to practice. Do read it if you can though because it could be useful to some, and you can get it easily online.
I love blog-hopping, but sadly there're not many places I can go before there's nowhere left to look (where there is relevance at least). Anyway so I went back to Joyce's blog the other day, which I do rather regularly (you can access it
here), and there was this very poetic and poignant piece on perfectionism which I do implore you to read. The beauty of us lies in our imperfections because we ca never be perfect people and being imperfect is how we embrace perfection as ordinary people (hahaha that was a tad too convoluted but there is meaning to be construed from it all). Anyway I won't be able to recreate whatever's already written so, again, please do read.
One cannot help but feel a tinge of sadness when reading other people's blogs too (some not all), because mastery of the language is such an elusive thing and not everyone is equipped with silver tongue and pen to craft beautiful poetry as permutations of 26 little squiggles. It lies too with experience and humility when we learn from others and emulate little parts of their styles to embellish our own, and possibly ameliorate our cracks and insufficiencies.
Lastly, Bali is quiet and Singapore is noisy but sometimes you need the noise to appreciate the quiet. Same for that thought catalog article on loving and not being loved back but it's still not something I fully concur with at the moment. That will be all for now, and see you all when I get back (fig.).
(taken on the streets of town - on Insta if you want to see @footballbear (please go see HAHA))
Biography
About myself
Kay Han
21
I like writing, though I can't say that I'm terribly good at it
Networks
Feel free to look around
Facebook |
Twitter |
Youtube |
Instagram
Tagboard
Rhetoric
Message me if you've been here and have something to say, would really appreciate it
Feedback
Forgive the pretentiousness
Feedback Form
People
The list