<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/1910926976326845670?origin\x3dhttp://cheer--you--up.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>


Cheer You Up
life's little ironies







thanks for stopping by
Profile entries Tagboard Affiliates
It's the holidays
Sunday, March 16, 2014

School's out! A temporary reprieve from the rigour of academics and the flurry of homework. So now it seems that everyone is settling into school, getting used to lessons (and the constant moving around) and easing into their new CCAs (regarding which some people are satisfied and others currently disenchanted - or at least soon to be I'm sure). Comparatively I'm much freer I guess, what with HACAS and Geog Soc lined up on my CV, which is why to a certain extent what I'm experiencing now is far from a representation of what's to come in the months ahead.

I have a sports background, and I've pretty much spent all my schooling years playing sports, rushing down from class in primary school to chope the good badminton playing spots (where the blocks would cut off the wind), playing tennis through upper primary and high school and soccer, ping pong, frisbee and a ton of other sports interspersed here and there. So yes, the current lack of a sports CCA leaves much to be desired, and not by any construct of my own, this whole sports-council stigma, though something understandable, is something that needs to be changed. I mean the school has said that sports CCAs aren't allowed to reject people on the basis that they're joining council, but well que sera sera, no point griping over it anymore.

Some burdens in life are like chronic illnesses, they dampen your spirits (but only if you let them), and they set you into this rut perpetuated by lethargy and angst. When they're relieved though, you can go back to living life as per normal, or at least try to do so. Last week's ASEAN quiz and the week of prep leading up to it was one of the most mentally draining weeks I've had so far, partially because I let it all get to me (along with an amalgamation of uncannily bad situations), and because I put a considerable amount of effort into it, emotion too I suppose. And so the quiz came and went, thank goodness we managed to place [2nd] and so it was a relief and affirmation for myself (and battered self esteem).

Anyway preparation for council elections is well underway, though I can't show any progress cos there's to be no online campaigning of any sorts for now. So all I can say is vote Sunny Stars, and stay tuned for the video, posters, and banner!! It's been a rather busy week what with video filming and banner painting - which is extremely fun actually and I've left with new skills imparted by friends and the inner artist inside of me (ha ha ha) - but a fun week nonetheless. Managed to get closer to my group mates as long as other friends whom I'm very grateful for for their support.

There have been many people pulling out of the elections in recent days, which might come as some sort of relief for the rest of the people running but it's the really determined ones that remain. I think arguably the hardest competition is present in Apollo and well at least whoever gets in will have a great crop of batchmates to see council through a great year (I'm sure) and to 2015. Plus there's something that's been on my mind, it's that despite the competitive aspect of it all, everyone helps each other out, everyone is encouraging and it's still one united school at the end of it all. This is something I'm very proud of, this is something this school has instilled in me and this is something I'm sure will carry us all forward together as one school and as one family.

What's the issue with publicly endorsing a friend running for council while one is also running? The way I see it is to give them whatever support that they need, though probably not much because we're all strong independent people. It's one of the reasons why I hate competitions between friends because some people get carried away, they go to unnecessary extremes which taints the relationship, and some people cross lines from which there is no coming back from. But these are all just thoughts~

Anyway on the topic of friendships, and I'm not sure if I've shared this before but well #yolo (?), someone asked me before how I view friendships and this is what I replied with (I realised a long time ago that I'm a visual learner {and kinesthetic too but that's another story} so most concepts take on shapes in my head - in a rather creative manner I daresay but I'm too lazy to recreate them {and I digress}). So there're three categories, first there's acquaintances (hi-bye friends, people I can talk to easily), second there's the friends in the grey area, people I'm not sure are either acquaintances or good friends, essentially the people that have yet to be categorised (so they have a category of their own ironically), and lastly there's the close friends. It's a concept much easier explained in real life because each category comes attached with its subtle nuances and there're grey areas/overlaps here and there along with the occasional exceptions.

My close friends are not people whom I talk to everyday (but I do for some anyway) but they're the people that I'd go out with, they're the people I make an effort to know better and they're the people I'm concerned for. With regards to this haha in line with my efforts to become a better friend (and person in general but that's a work in progress (so am I)) I'll be spending the March holidays trying to catch up with a few friends here and there.

Anyway so on to the main reason why I decided to blog today, aside from the life update of course (which grounds this post and pretty much the whole blog), and I'm kinda disappointed in myself that it's taken so long, what with procrastination and everything but well, there's been a really nice entry in the Googledoc that I set up, so here goes:

Hello I.g., thanks for the feedback and sorry its taken so long for me to get back, I'll try to be faster next time heh. Thanks for reading everything too, you might've tracked the gradual transition in quality of writing from when I used to post in sec 1 until now - or lack thereof HAHA which would be quite sad but well.

As to what are my thoughts on sadness, it can be a real mood spoiler, aside from the obvious impact on oneself but to others around as well. I noticed on many occasions that when in a group of friends, or any gathering of people (be it in class, CCA, etc) when someone is sad it spreads to everyone else and the cheer and happiness gets sapped out of everyone. Not that it's the person's fault of course it's that everyone is disinclined to enjoy themselves or be happy around that person because well it'd seem insensitive. Others will try to comfort the person and you can't be understanding/empathise if you're being happy. Plus the person feeling sad must've been affected by someone else, be it an insensitive joke, some form of physical violence (in a friendly way of course) or whatever, and the person who caused it would be overcome with guilt and well sadness as well.

I think sadness lies in a certain betrayal of trust, that the friends that you've kept around you don't turn out to be who you thought they were, they don't act the way you thought they would. Somehow on a certain level your best interests aren't what they have at heart. You feel sad that your friends have betrayed the trust that you put in them, and instead of enriching your life they spoil the experience.

The friend that caused the sadness will also be upset, and naturally so (though this is no universal explanation of the situation - I've a friend or two that well, has differing moral standards), because fundamentally whatever they did was well-intentioned, at least they only did it because they were friends with you and it wasn't something they'd do to anyone else.

So when it comes to public displays of sadness, I generally just take it in my stride and continue. It's a personal belief that things that people do are grounded in good intent, or at least the things that my friends do and they're pretty much the only people that matter. Rather than be hung up over it I trust that my friends have enough sense not to do it again, and whatever that happened isn't a representation of our entire friendship. Plus, all good relationships are based on principles of compromise, because no one is perfect and our personalities are not perfect complements of each other. The best relationships involve an acceptance of flaws, an understanding of personalities and mutual trust.

I guess this isn't the most ideal approach to it all, but I'd attribute part of it to the fact that I'm very much a person who avoids confrontation. Which is another story for another day haha.

That was my bit on somewhat of a situational sadness, and I guess my take on sadness in general is kind of the same. I don't typically broadcast my sadness to the world, in real life I try not to show it at all because as much as happiness is contagious conversely sadness is too (as I've mentioned before). For me, as long as the friends I hang out with are happy that's alright with me, and what I feel I'll deal with it myself - plus being around happier people will naturally make me happier (I guess). I don't broadcast my emotions to the whole world also because I don't need pity, but I don't reject it though it's nice when people try and comfort you, it's nice when people put in the effort and make you feel like you're worth something (which is why affirmation is important).

Something to be certain of though, is that sadness is not in anyway wrong, and whatever emotions that we have deserve to be expressed because bottling them inside can be a very dangerous thing. Don't constantly be stuck in a phase where you're always unhappy because it's a definite damper on your spirits and your quality of life experience. Something to remember as well, and something that's constantly on the back of my mind (from when I first chanced across it), is to never make promises when you're exceedingly happy, and never make decisions when you're extremely sad/angry (for obvious reasons; and this is paraphrased).

I hope I managed to make some sense of what I feel haha and thanks for the question too, and the many others (HAHA) I'll get down to all of them soon (much sooner than before don't worry). Doesn't matter if you deviated from whatever the form said heh it's just there as a general guideline anything's fine really and yes it was a very pleasant surprise so thank you again :) With any luck you still read my blog (and on that note readership is on a steady decline but probably because everyone was much freer during the holidays so that's okay) and hope to hear from you soon~

On a side note I've made an ask.fm account so do feel free to ask some questions ask.fm/footballbearr thanks!

Copyrighted @ Kay Han 2019