<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/1910926976326845670?origin\x3dhttp://cheer--you--up.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>


Cheer You Up
life's little ironies







thanks for stopping by
Profile entries Tagboard Affiliates
Gathering the pieces
Monday, March 31, 2014

Slowly but surely time trudges on and bringing with it a new series of events and adventures. The days of school are long but not excruciatingly slow (thank goodness), but the monotony of it all builds to be an extremely quotidian expedition which does have this sort of drag. Anyway it's term 2 already and the first week has already gone by - the way I see things is that there're always things to be looking forward to, last week there was Friday's dinner with Nicole (spent well really, just sitting and chatting - a friendship comfortable in all situations which is really quite hard to come by) then Funorama and Kaleidoscope on Saturday. This week there's Friday's play, then Saturday's play, next week there's NJ's funfair and dinner with the guys (where I expect everyone to turn up). So pretty much I place things in my life, or at least conscious markers, that I can look forward to and sometimes tide me over the more banal progression of life.

One thing I'm very pleased about in JC is the whole Angel-Mortal thing, partially because I love writing letters, partially because I like getting to know people better, partially because it's some sort of reprieve from schoolwork when I reply and partially because the whole thing is mysterious, intriguing and exciting. Exchanged about 4 letters with my angel so far (give or take) over the course of 6 weeks and with every letter there're things to say and things to wait for in the reply haha there's also food too. Noticed that for quite a number of others the whole letter writing thing has died down and people aren't replying anymore, I suppose some people aren't terribly into letter writing and because "it takes two to tango" (one of those goosebumps worthy cliches), the reluctance of one results in the failure of it as a whole. So on that note I'm pretty glad my angel chose to write to me, of all people (somewhat due to the form we all had to fill in too where I mentioned something about people not looking up in the sky too much anymore and failing to appreciate the beauty of things around them), and that things are progressing well. The anonymity of it all is fun too, and it does away with all the associations and distractions that come with knowing who the other person is, which is not to say that I'd be judgemental, but there'd be a difference I guess.

Opposites attract and I guess the differences in each person contribute to a well matched relationship (when things do work out well), like two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Of course to have opposing views is by no means all grounds for compatibility for the two have to come from the same set - to be like halves of one complete soul, seeking completion. The perfect alignment of the two creates an almost seamless bond, as if inseparable.

To be nearly there and be so close as to have a tiny glimpse of such glorious possibility is far from the experience itself, and for anything to happen someone has to put the pieces together, for as two independents, one will never truly be fulfilled without the other.

//

Anyway hello again l.g., sorry it's been so long again I know I said I'd reply a lot faster but well as you can see my concept of time is pretty poor haha forgive me (at least it's faster than the previous reply ha ha ha silver linings~). Yes I was very amazed at how quickly you replied, thanks so much for that, it was reassuring to know that you'd read what I replied to you - nah I'm not creeped I mean I frequent other people's blogs quite often too //insert shady emoji//

Yup after a long while of unloading your thoughts it all kind of flows I guess and there's somewhat of a plan in mind already when I write, an unconscious one perhaps heh and also it helps a lot to read widely and borrow expressions from people (modify them of course). It's only through the mastery of the language then can you fully express what you feel, qualify the emotions - reasons why I'm not good at sustaining conversation with others in mandarin.

As for my take on happiness, I believe it to be a very conscious process and if we decide to be happy we can certainly be so and on that premise, yes one can feel happiness - and chase it too. It depends on what we equate happiness to too, and as long as we truly understand ourselves and what makes us happy, then we can chase it and try to fill our lives doing things which make us happy. As for the parallel between knowing humility and losing it with knowing happiness and losing it I think because the two are different it would be amiss to construct such an analogy heh - but I think I can follow what you're trying to say haha

The opposite of humility is pride and pride is being self-absorbed in one's strengths and achievements, which I guess fits nicely as the definition of knowing that one is humble. Though knowing one is humble could lead to the continuing of one's current path because it seems to be producing good results and here I guess there's a difference between knowing one is humble while doing humble acts as opposed to knowing one is humble after careful self reflection.

I think happiness can be achieved through a reinforcement of positive psychology because many times we become unhappy because we fail to see the happiness or the positivity in things. Sadness is by far the easier option because we like to feel like the word is against us (which we feel gives us the right to be pouty and demand attention from others), but happiness is the more rewarding one.

I guess I'd define happiness as a state of contentment and when you truly enjoy where you're at - but it's a troublesome thing to define, happiness, because as a feeling we can only truly understand it when we feel it and when it overwhelms us and fill us to the brim we experience something truly indescribable. :)

Thanks! (for wishing me luck in campaigning hahaha and for the congratulations) I think I'll need it given how hardcore everyone else is being with their campaign, and how stiff the competition from Apollo is. Spent the holiday doing almost no work at all, and considering my PI got completely trashed I did nothing of substance ha ha ha which was relaxing I guess so it was, in some sense, a good break.

My favourite 2 books are the "13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear" by Walter Moers and "The Art of Travel" by Alain de Botton :) One is hardcore fantasy and very creative, really enjoyed reading it as a kid and the other is a philosophical spin on life's experience which I took pleasure in reading and thinking about (haven't got around to the rest of his books but I'm sure they're good too). How did you find her blog? and how in the world did you come across Ian's? Sorry I don't read that much nowadays so can't give you extensive recommendations, but some other stuff I like include Outliers (Malcom Gladwell)(a book I carried to my P6 DSA interview hahaha) and Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)(love this one).

No problem about the reply, I like thinking about stuff a lot (as you could probably already gather) so just fire away if there's anything you need a second opinion on :) As for classes well being in HP means everything is very, very slack but with reason that we're mature enough to take care of our own learning and welfare so it's a programme requirement in some sense (or at least we all knew what we were getting ourselves into). Excluding math our smallest lecture size is 50+, which combines both HP classes, so things are pretty cosy around here. Loving econs, literature and geography are pretty okay, math coursework is regrettably simple because the tests are insane, and then there's chinese (there you go, in order of interest heh).

Hope to hear from you soon~

Copyrighted @ Kay Han 2019