<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/1910926976326845670?origin\x3dhttp://cheer--you--up.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>


Cheer You Up
life's little ironies







thanks for stopping by
Profile entries Tagboard Affiliates
Happier days
Monday, July 29, 2013

So today it just so happened that I helped a nice old lady carry her stuff back home. Or rather she was standing on the bridge and when she asked for help I happened to be walking by and I said yes.

Now I'd like to think that of all people that she could've asked and at all moment that I could've been walking on the bridge our two paths met. What's truly fascinating, to me, is that she was visiting her daughter's house which was on my way home. To those of you who don't know where I live it's not on the conventional route back home from school, have to go into the deep maze of houses etc. 

I naturally assumed that she was going to the bus stop and when she refused after I offered to carry her stuff to the bus stop, telling me that she was going to linden I was pleasantly surprised. I told her where I was headed and she really very happily passed me back the bag of stuff to carry. 

On the way back we chatted (in Chinese, which thankfully I managed), and I told her a bit about myself and she did about herself. She said I looked Eurasian which I readily accept as a compliment (this was preceded by 你不像中国人). She also mentioned how her daughter was working hard in the construction industry, how she had built her own house and how because money was tight (for others) she had difficulty finding a buyer. 

Then she asked me whether I was a Christian or a Buddhist (to which I replied the former) and said something along the lines of salvation, or at the very least how these acts of kindness will receive their reward in one way or another. I like to believe that everything happens for a reason, and today just made me delightfully happy.

Which then brings up the topic of church going and Christianity. Of which are two of my long term pursuits. I know who I thank for what happened today, and for providing this opportunity not only for me, but for that friendly old lady. I could see this as a push in the "right" direction or brush it aside as a serendipitous coincidence. I know which one I'd choose. 

I'm not asking for anything in return for what I did, not even recognition from anyone, or anything (though I can't deny images of public school commendation did flash through my mind shortly afterwards, but we can't change that narcissistic streak now can we). No photos to prove what I've done but hey that's not the point now is it. What matters is that I made her day just that little bit easier (she said whence we had arrived at her gate, "another good memory"), and it made me feel joyful. 

I guess also that she's had many helpful people carry stuff for her in the past, but it's not something I get to do very often (that's kind of self serving considering if I'd opened my eyes there're many people whom I could possibly help). So rather its not something I do very often. It's possible that one could say that I'm blowing things out of proportion here, especially people who regularly aid in community work (ironic though which is why it's unlikely). But every act of kindness deserves to be told, to be shared, to be transferred?

Happiness has a ripple effect, and everyone's inherent goodness needs some sort of trigger. There is good in all of us (#BGN), there is the hidden good, we just have to uncover it (yay me for uncovering that movement).

So thank you, kind old lady for giving me the opportunity to help you, and I hope, maybe, to see you again in the future.

Post good deed high:

Copyrighted @ Kay Han 2019